17 Jan Coconut porridge || RECIPE
My neighbour lived until she was 94,
and we both agreed that porridge was the perfect staple breakfast.
My Granny (who this blog is named after ) is also a porridge fan, allowing her oats to steep overnight so they’re creamy and ready for breakfast the next day.
So, it is no wonder that I also believe in it and share a love for it’s stodginess and health benefits
–Oats have a very low glycemic index which means they slowly absorb into the body’s blood stream. Hence us fitness freaks swear by consuming a bowl an hour or so before training to ensure our blood sugar levels are steady for the task ahead. You will also find zinc, folic acid, calcium and fibre nutrients in that humble bowl to name but a few.
This recipe is a take on the regular cream or whole milk variation.
I replace regular or almond milk with half a tin of coconut milk ( please look at coconut fats as good fats instead of something bad for your body. The body breaks this type of fat down perfectly and easily so it’s NOT the same as using a lump of lard in your porridge or your curry).
My friend Rebekah, founder of Lines and Current
(who I made snag free hair ties with) gave me the idea to use the coconut milk.
It’s used as a treat for me as it can become an expensive addition to something economical like oatmeal.
- 200ml coconut milk.
- 1 cup oats
- 1 medjool date. Stone removed and chopped.
- 1/2 banana. Sliced.
- tbsp desiccated coconut or coconut flakes.
- Boiling water. (if needed)
- Heat your coconut milk in a saucepan.
- Add oats to the saucepan (if you can use classic oats instead of porridge quick oats they’re great. Often the finer grain has been mixed with sweetener)
- Cook the oats until they start to plump out (5-10 mins approx)
- Add hot water from the kettle if needs to keep it from becoming too thick.
*Don’t forget if you want to get these recipes in your inbox BEFORE anyone else, simply enter your e mail in the right hand side bar or at the bottom of a tablet screen, and you’ll be added to the Darling Edna subscriber list!*