23 Aug “Clean drinking” | RECIPE
Just when you thought life couldn’t get any better,
I pop a recipe for clean drinking (aptly named by my sister in law after she visited and we made her some) in your inbox- boom!
A fine afternoon with sunshine, a deck chair and a glass of fizz is close to my idea of perfection.
But if you are training loads or trying to lose weight then switch to this refreshing drink which is almost a detox(!!) as it involves water and citrus fruit and, you’ll thank yourself for making the switch.
By drinking this drink I believe you are essentially cutting out refined sugar
which is in most other drinks and why the powers that be refer to alcohol as “empty calories“.
I came up with this after Ian Young told me about having vodka and still water with some fresh lime.
To be fair, this recipe is not much of a variation on that but my hubby and I are always very proud to tell people that we drink this instead of Gin and Tonic!
Again, it’s not rocket science but it is now with you and worth a try.
And here I am post workout on a Friday night enjoying a dinner of halloumi, frying steak, rice, avocado and salad… with a clean drink!!
- 1 bottle of Sparkling water / Selzter for the American folk
- 1 fresh lime
- 1 fresh lemon
- Gin or Vodka
- 2 glasses
- 1 shot glass
- Ice cubes
- Lemon and lime slices if you wish for decoration
Failing that, just squeeze the juice out using your strongest hand!
- Slice lemons and limes. Juice whichever way you see fit. Keep in a jug or the container they are juiced in to.
- Pour a shot (or a cheeky double) of your chosen alcohol into the glass. Approx 70ml for a double.
- Pour half a shot glass (approx 20ml) of your lemon and lime mixture on top of the alcohol.
- Fill to the top with the sparkling water.
- Add slices, ice and a straw then enjoy!
I am not into counting calories but I *think* you’re talking about 90 calories for a shot of gin or vodka verses 160 ish calories in a glass of red wine. So worth the change if you have an achievement in mind or you are trying to build muscle.
Tag your pics of your clean drinks on instgram using @aly.harte I would LOVE to see them!